Pilates is a system of exercises designed to strengthen the abdominal core of the body while teaching awareness of correct alignment and proper breathing. By focusing on the core postural muscles, Pilates helps keep the body balanced and provides essential support for the spine. It is about moving with mindfulness, precision and control and is a powerful, effective way to:
• Transform the way your body looks and performs
• Build strength without bulk
• Increase flexibility and agility
• Develop optimal core control and function
• Improve posture, balance and coordination for more stamina and endurance.
Founder Joseph Pilates believed that mental and physical health are interconnected. His mind-body approach to movement was founded on the principles of centering, concentration, control, precision, breath and flow. By incorporating these six principles within your pilates exercises, you will maximize the effects of your routines and improve your level of fitness, physique and overall wellbeing:
1. Concentration: Be conscious and mindfully aware of each exercise to obtain the maximum benefit from each movement.
2. Control: Exercise control to the various parts of the body to ensure that the exercises are being performed correctly.
3. Precision: Maintain precision in all exercises, such as correct alignment throughout each movement for safer, more effective results.
4. Centering: Bring your focus to the center of your body, the powerhouse area between the lower ribs and pubic bone. This area is considered to be the source of energy and focus.
5. Flow: Connect the exercises and body with fluid, graceful movements as smooth, continuous motions are encouraged.
6. Breath: Breathe properly, as proper breathing techniques help cleanse and invigorate and increase concentration, control, precision, centering and flow.
One With Nature center offers pilates both on the mat and on the special pilates apparatus like the Reformer, Tower, Cadillac and Combo Chair.